[Xquartz-dev] Leopard X11 2.3.2
Jeremy Huddleston
2009-01-02 22:21:57 UTC
I'm proud to announce the release of version 2.3.2 of X11 for
Leopard. It's been 3.5 months since our last release, and I think
it's been well worth the wait. This is by far the largest set of bug
fixes and updates since 2.2.0!

Thanks to everyone who helped through the betas and release candidates.

You can download the dmg here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/X11-2.3.2.dmg

Full release notes here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.3.2

Changes since 2.3.2_rc5:
Honor system key repeat rate
Got rid of some debug spew about bad modifier keycodes
Fixed a possible deadlock / startup race condition
xterm 238 to address CVE-2008-2383
Andrew Farmer
2009-01-02 23:39:28 UTC
Post by Jeremy Huddleston
Honor system key repeat rate
Got rid of some debug spew about bad modifier keycode
And there was much [DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=7]
[DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=5] rejoicing!
Martin Costabel
2009-01-03 17:59:03 UTC
I'm proud to announce the release of version 2.3.2 of X11 for Leopard.
It's been 3.5 months since our last release, and I think it's been well
worth the wait. This is by far the largest set of bug fixes and updates
since 2.2.0!
[]
Honor system key repeat rate
Got rid of some debug spew about bad modifier keycodes
Fixed a possible deadlock / startup race condition
xterm 238 to address CVE-2008-2383
Another change (maybe already between rc4 and rc5) seems to be that
fonts.conf has migrated to yet another place, namely to
/usr/X11/etc/fonts/. This will trip up those programs that have just
learned that it migrated from /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/ to
/usr/X11/lib/X11/fontconfig/. Some questions:

Why this competition between /usr/X11/etc/fonts/ and
/usr/X11/lib/X11/fontconfig/? Both come with conf.avail and conf.d
directories.

Is the directory structure used by fontconfig documented somewhere? man
fonts-conf still talks about /etc/fonts.conf, which has disappeared
years ago. I haven't found man pages talking about conf.avail/ and conf.d/.

Is this going to settle down?
Martin
Merle Reinhart
2009-01-03 18:07:47 UTC
On top of that, /usr/X11/etc/fonts/fonts.conf doesn't look right as it
contains a non-existent directory and only points at /usr/X11R6 (which
works for now due to the symlink).

Agreed this constant changing around of where the various
configuration files reside is a real pain.

Merle
Jeremy Huddleston
2009-01-03 18:56:29 UTC
Why oh why is there always something found right after the release =(

That bug has been there since before 2.3.2_rc1 it seems, but nobody
noticed it. The file should be /usr/X11/lib/X11/fontconfig , but for
some reason the file that had my fontconfig configure arguments got
nuked =(

I'm rebuilding fontconfig now with the correct /usr/X11/lib/X11/
fontconfig directory usage and will release a 2.3.2.1 with the fixed
fontconfig.
Merle Reinhart
2009-01-03 19:04:35 UTC
The problem file/directory wasn't there in rc4 (I didn't get around to
testing with rc5). So at least rc4 was what you expected (/usr/X11/
lib/X11/fontconfig).

Thanks for the clarification on which directory is the correct one!

Merle
Jeremy Huddleston
2009-01-03 19:12:42 UTC
Are you sure about rc4? I haven't touched fontconfig since the
betas. How did that file get nuked? I hope it's not a sign of FS
corruption =(

I'm testing the 2.3.2.1 package now.. expect a release in the next
hour or so.

--Jeremy
Merle Reinhart
2009-01-03 19:15:37 UTC
I just looked on my system at work which is 2.3.2_rc4. The file/
directory structure is fine (no /usr/X11/etc/...) and the fonts.conf
file in /usr/X11/lib/X11/fongconfig is what you were expecting (dated
Dec 17 when I installed rc4).

Merle
Merle Reinhart
2009-01-03 19:24:14 UTC
Well, let me clarify. This the font directory list in the rc4
fonts.conf file in /usr/X11/lib/X11/fontconfig/ (/usr/X11/etc/...
doesn't exist in rc4):

<!-- Font directory list -->

<dir>/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
<dir>~/.fonts</dir>

The X11R6 directory has been there for quite a while, but in reality
only means the fonts potentially are scanned twice. I had assumed
this was intentional and what you were expecting people to find in the
file.

Merle